HAIR AND HEAT
Temperatures are rising in the south. Forget the heavy makeup and curling your hair, it’s a waste of time. Going from the your nicely air conditioned house to the humid weather outside will ensure you end up just like the wiched witch of the west- a puddle. the summer’s are so unforgiving here. You sweat, your make up runs, your hair gets frizzy and it’s just so darn hot! I’m not complaining…..really!
Lucky for me I was do for a hair cut. Well, make that OVER DUE. I was supposed to get my hair cut back in January, however I couldn’t miss any days while I was training for my work at home job. My hair was long and actually gave me a head ache when I put it up in a pony tail because the heaviness would weigh down on my head.
I ended up buying a deal on living social to save a few bucks. The experience didn’t go so well. I will spare ya the details, but the
monster woman ended up chopping my hair too short. I pointed out to the stylist to only cut my hair right where my arm pit meets my shoulder. Instead the woman cut my above my shoulders! I’ve always been a long-haired girl. Being a total drama queen I told Joe that I felt like I was missing limb. I felt so naked with out my long hair and I even felt less like a girl. He told me he loves the new do. Such a sweet man, eh?
After a few days I have grown accustom to my short hair. IN fact I’m actually started to like it. It feels so light weight and airy. Putting my hair up I can feel the sweet breeze blow on the back of my neck. Now that it shorter there are a few vintage hair styles I would love to try. One that I’ve eyeing is an updated version of the 60′s flip. I see a wide headband, short skirt, cat eyeliner and a flip do in my near future. Should I post some pics? I’d love to do a Lauren Bacall do’. What’s your fave decade for fashion and hair?
Another way I keep myself cool is that I love to drink smoothies- especially in the morning as part of my breakfast.
4 reasons why I love smoothies
- easy to make
- fiber to keep you full
- get your fruit intake
- tastes yummy
I am going to share two of my recipes with you. First up- the GREEN MONSTER
Why the green monster you may ask? Because it’s got spinach in it! Blech! I know I know, it sounds gross but it’s actually very good. The first time I made this I was totally freaked out by the green color. I truly thought I would either spit it out or get sick. Oh boy how wrong was I. Now I love drinking spinach smoothies. I’ve made different variations of the green monster which I’ll share with you, but the orignal recipe never disappoints. In fact, get this, you don’t even taste the spinach. And it only get’s better- drinking spinach in the morning makes sure you get your intake of greens. Spinach gives you energy, makes your skin glow, your nails grow, and your hair shiny. The green monster is so famous (and yeah I know your just hearing about it) that it has it’s own website. The woman behind the madness is the author of the blog- Oh She Glows.
Here is the original recipe that I have taken from her website
- 1 cup almond milk, or milk of choice
- 1 ripe banana, preferably peeled + frozen
- 2 handfuls organic spinach
- 1 tbsp chia seeds OR 1 tbsp ground flax
- 1 tbsp nut butter (here I used Dark Chocolate Almond Butter)
- 1-3 Ice cubes
- Directions: Starting with the liquid, add in 1 cup of milk of your choice. Now add in the chia or flax and nut butter. Next, add in the spinach followed by the banana on top. Blend until smooth. Add in your ice cubes and blend some more. Serves 1- about 2 cups.
Here is my version of the GREEN MONSTER
- 1 Sambazon Original Smoothie Pack
- 1 fresh or frozen banana
- 2 cups of coconut water or milk
- Directions- add the smoothie pack, banana and 2 cups of coconut water or milk, blend until smooth.
Yeah I know my picture isn’t as cool as the original…but I get points for trying! :) It doesn’t look as green, and although it has the spinach in it, the acai turns it a strange brown color. I assure you it’s very tasty. Don’t judge a smoothie by its color!
This recipe is fun, fresh and fruity. And its got one of my favorite fruits in it- peaches!
- 5-6 strawberries, frozen
- 5-6 frozen peaches
- handful of fresh blueberries
- half of a fresh banana
- 2 cups of coconut water ( you can substitute pineapple juice if you don’t have coconut water)
- splash of o.j.
- DIRECTIONS- put in ingredients in the order listed, add the two cups of coconut (or pineapple juice), followed by a splash of orange juice. Blend until smooth