Well I finally made it through the week. My morning was hectic but by night fall I ended coming home with some free loot (perfume, Burberry Brit and as you’ll see below some random stuff).
I made my sunrise breakfast smoothie- pineapple, mango and peaches mixed with orange juice. Rushing out the door to get to work on time I left it behind in the fridge along with my package of carrots and cucumbers. Pulling up into the parking lot at I could hear grrrrowls and gurgles coming from midsection. “I’m hungry, please feed me” called out my stomach. Reaching into my bewitching purple lunch bag was my Caramel Nut Brownie Luna protein bar.
Oh-my-goodness! Those bars are a taste of heaven. Its got about 8 grams of protein along with good amount of calcium, vitamin D and iron. I’m normally not a nut
ty girl so I was happy that I could barely tastes the nuts.
Called the whole nutrition bar for woman, Luna makes all types of flavors. Oh and by the way just because they are marketed towards women, men can eat them, too! There’s no estrogen or anything in these bars- hahaa! I like these protein bars so much that I’m going to give it away to one of my readers. Down in the comments section tell me who or what inspires you. Once I pick the winner I’ll contact you to get your shipping information. You will win two bars (one to keep and maybe one to share with a friend?). The contest starts today and ends Saturday at 5:00 PM EST.
Why is that we cause a frenzy and will line up at a booth for a free pen, note pad or canvas shopping bag? Hmmm….. My house is full of notepads and pens from Ford, Acura, Target, my local vet and bank. I’ve got mugs with company logos, sticky note pads and weird little kick knacks I just can’t resist people! And today I got to add to my pile. At work one of our vendors (a hotel in Chattanooga, TN) paid us a visit. They had a raffle and I won! My prize- pens, note pad, some weird long foam thing with a football team’s name on it and get this- a lunch bag! Like a little kid who just won a plastic spider ring, I was so happy! Crazy, I know.
I celebrated my win with a Fiesta night at my house. One the dinner table? Chicken Enchilada Casserole. Jump for recipe
This is a delicious recipe I adapted from Cooking Light and my fellow blogger- Iowa Girl Eats (she has some amazing, non fattening and still taste like the real thing, recipes). I’m learning how to develop my own healthy recipes, until then I sometimes I’ll steal ideas from other heath and fitness bloggers (giving them credit off course).
First you bring you together 2-3 chicken breasts, olive oil and salt ,pepper and a dash of cumin to a boil. After the chicken is cooked you will shred the chicken and take one cup of chicken stock from your pot (sorry no picture).
Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees. Then saute your onions and green chiles until softened.
Once the onions are soft, add your cream cheese, enchilada sauce, evaporated milk, shredded cheese and cooking liquid until mixed together and warm. Then add in your chicken.
The next step is to layer your 8×8 baking dish. Starting with the bottom, layer with three corn tortillas and top with about 1-1/2 cups of the chicken mixture. Repeat this step 2 more times, ending with the chicken layer on top. Top with crushed tortilla chips and remaining shredded cheese. Bake in oven for 20-30 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving. Again, forgot to take a picture of the product so I am using the photo from Cooking Light’s website.
2-3 chicken breasts
salt and pepper
1 can of green chilies
1 cup of sweet onions (the yellow kind)
1 cup evaporated skim milk
1-10 oz can enchilada sauce
2 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese
2 cups shredded cheddar-jack cheese (or any other jack-cheese blend,) divided
9-6inch corn tortillas
1. Fill a pot with water, olive oil (approx 2-3 TBS) and a few dashes of salt,pepper & cumin to a boil.
2. Add the chicken and cook from 30- 40 minutes or until cooked completely. (you can save time by cooking the chicken the way Iowa Girl Eats did in her recipe. See link above)
3. Once the chicken finished cooking you will remove it, shred it and set aside. Take one cup of cooking liquid from the pot and set aside.
4. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. In a large skillet saute your green chilies and onions with olive oil. Cook until the onions are softened.
5. Once the onions and chilies have cooked add the cream cheese, enchilada sauce, evaporated milk, cooking liquid and 1 cup of the shredded cheese and stir until combined.
6. Add and mix in the shredded chicken.
7. Lightly spray your 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray
8. Layer the bottom of the pan with 3 corn tortillas and top with 1 1/2 of chicken mixture. Repeat this step 2 more times.
9. Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of cheese and crushed tortillas chips on top.
10. Bake for 20-30 minutes. Once out of the oven let it cool for 10 minutes.
Don’t forget the contest. Again in the comments section below- who or what inspires you? You have until Saturday 5:00 pm EST to enter and win!